Satellite
  • Day 7

    Ucluelet, Whales, and 1909 (2)

    July 8, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    At 2:30, we went to get suited up for our whale watching adventure! We had to wear insulated flotation suits and they also gave us toques and mitts. There were 12 people on our zodiac and after a few safety tips, we cruised out of the harbour into open water.

    Our captain had heard about two humpbacks that were seen feeding, so we headed out to find them. We checked the water for blow spray and found the two whales! Our captain said they normally don’t see humpbacks, but the fish must have been plentiful to attract two in the area. We tracked the whales for awhile and eventually got to see one do a cartwheel, which is like a big roll. Later, the same whale did a lunge feed, which is when they come up, mouths open, and breech the surface to eat. That was pretty amazing to see in person!

    On our trip we also saw a grey whale, and he was pretty into giving us three breaths and then a dive with a tail flip. We watched him do it four times!

    We also saw sea otters feeding in a kelp farm and some more seals before heading back to the harbour.

    Originally we had planned to go to Shelter for supper, but we canceled our reservation two days ago and decided to go back to 1909 because we couldn’t stop talking about it! We had a table with an even better view this time and the Tofino weather was warm (for Tofino) and sunny.

    We began with the albacore tuna and a chilled seafood tower that had oysters, clams, mussels, and a shell on crab. We then shared a pasta with morels and prawns, a lamb and kelp kabob, and the morels stuffed with humboldt squid. Evan has the skillet cookie and Brad and I shared the tiramisu to finish off another amazing dinner!

    We headed back home to pack up our stuff and enjoy the last of our Victoria beers.
    Read more