Satellite
  • Day 3

    A day in Paris

    June 30, 2018 in France ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    We spent the day walking around Paris today. After a reasonable night’s sleep we ventured out for breakfast. Coffee, baguettes and pastries. Sam was surprised at the unusual style of breakfast. He had a chocolate pastry which is common. We sat outside and enjoyed the ambience of a French square right opposite a five hundred year-old church. After we had devoured the food went for a walk through the church marvelling at the age and grandeur of the building and the three pipe organs on three of the four sides.
    We then caught a train to the Isle of France which is an island in the Seine and the oldest part of the city. Notre Dame is located on the island and we walked around the outside. The cathedral was restricted access due to a large ceremony which was being televised to thousands of people seated in the square in front of the Cathedral. Apparently it was an inauguration of priests taking place.
    We then ventured over the Seine to the Shakespeare and Company English bookshop which is famous for being a regular haunt of Ernest Hemingway and Gertrude Stein and others between the wars. The shop was opened in 1919 so it has a long tradition for which it is famous.
    We then had some lunch near St Michel. More baguettes.
    Then we walked through the Louvre Palace, the Tuileries Gardens, place de la Concord and along the Champs d’Elysees all the way to the Arch de Triumph.
    We then caught the train back to our Airbnb and bought some more pastries and baguettes for dinner. A French carbohydrate feast.
    We watched the World Cup game between France and Argentina. The whole street erupted every time France scored. They won 4-3 and the celebrations continued for hours in the streets afterwards.
    It has been a big first day. Tomorrow we rise at 4.30 am to catch an Uber to Orly Airport. Our plane to Barcelona takes off at 7.00am. Another big day planned tomorrow. So, an early night tonight I hope. Depends a bit on how long the French continue to sing their National Anthem into the night.
    Read more