Satellite
  • Day 4

    Exploring Barcelona

    July 1, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    The exploration of the the amazing city of Barcelona continues. I came across some amazing gardens adjacent to the Barcelona Zoo. There was Spanish Dancing taking place in the pavillion just for fun. The Spanish have their own genre of music and dance, based on very percussive rapid music, often played on guitar, and flamenco dancing. There is also a strong African element represented in the dancing in the park, which certainly brought the crowds.

    There were some amazing structures in the park which were like mini medieval castles in themselves.

    I found the gothic cathedral in the gothic quarter where we are staying. It is a medieval church with amazing ornate carvings reminiscent of Notre Dame in Paris. There was a busker playing some beautiful baroque violin music and another around the corner singing tenor solos from famous operas. Very high quality busking!

    The old city of Barcelona dates back to Roman times. There are still portions of the Roman wall visible in areas bounding the gothic quarter. The gothic quarter is the old section of the city with narrow streets and high buildings with shops and restaurants at ground level which come alive from lunchtime into the night. The food culture is amazing. One could spend a year here and not exhaust the food options. Delicious food everywhere and people dining on tables set up in the streets and collonades of the old city squares.
    Read more