Satellite
  • Day 5

    Planning day

    March 16, 2016 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    The temp has been climbing and strangely peaks about 7 PM. It's in the 30s now. Both went for a nice run around the lake in the big park this morning then did loads of planning and booking. This is the part of the trip where we have four weeks with little planned and lots of choices to make. After some decisions we headed out for a late lunch and toured all five plazas in the city including the tiled Plaza España. Then back for more Internet and messaging remote places in Spanish. We didn't go out for dinner til after 10 PM.

    Here is the plan - 5 day road trip of national parks north of Mendoza. Then head to Salta early by plane, not 20 hour bus.

    Thurs 17 Pick up the car. Drive 450 km to San Agustín de Valle Fertíl.
    Fri 18 Drive to Talampaya NP. Evening meet up with a tour group and stay overnight in tiny place called Jague.
    Sat 19 Up at 5AM for a day trip to Crater del Corona del Inca and Laguna Brava. We will get as high as 5430 metres in a 4x4 convoy. Apparently the highest road you can drive up in the world. They bring oxygen tanks with us and we are suppose to eat in moderation and be very well hydrated the day before. No Malbec for Clare! Back to Villa Union that night.
    Sun 20 Drive to Ischigualasto NP (great name) aka Moon Valley. Evening back to San Agustín de Valle Fertíl.
    Mon 21 Drive 450 km back to Mendoza
    Tues 22 Fly to Salta in the afternoon
    Read more