Satellite
  • Day 5

    From wetlands to jungle

    April 17, 2016 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Adventurous drive out of Iberá on even worse road conditions than getting there. In total we spent 9 hours driving and 1 hour trying to sort out problems with the car.

    Although we didn't get stuck this time when we finally came to the paved road the car vibrated in a bone-shaking way whenever we went beyond 70 kph. As we were not too far from the city of Posadas we went to Hertz in the airport but it was deserted. I tried to call but they'd given me a wrong number and I used all my credit.
    Eventually as we drove away a woman chased us in her car and flagged us down. She was from Hertz and came to help. She said it was probably mud in the wheels causing the issue and instructed us on where to go to get it professionally cleaned.

    We thought we'd solved it but didn't get to go fast again for another hour or so and we still had more than a hundred km to go. Decided to limp there at slow speed. Scenery over the Uruguay river to Brazil was stunning. The last part was another track (10km) but it was still light and very pretty.

    Arrived at Yucuma Lodge to find we were the only guests (again) so dinner was a very intimate affair, with very good food. It's made up of rustic wooden buildings set in thick jungle alongside a river. Smells a bit damp - think it's still drying out from being completely submerged in floods two years ago.
    Read more