Satellite
  • Day 18

    Day 18 - The Long Trawl Home

    August 18, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    The alarm went off at 6.30am & we got dribbled (that’s what the shower did) & dressed. We met Chris & Angela out in the hotel car park & set off to Rosslare Harbour for the return journey.

    We boarded the ferry without drama & I met the others back in the Club Class Lounge. We, particularly I, made the most of the buffet, especially after Jackie informed me I was on a no-carb diet in the morning.

    It was a choppy crossing, which prevented anyone from going outside on deck. Instead we read the newspapers & played 3 games of Cribbage. Chris & Jackie beat Angela & I by 2 games to 1.

    At 1.00pm we came into port at Pembroke Docks & then began the ‘Wacky Races’ home. The motorcycles were allowed off pretty much first & I got on the road ahead of the others. It was a race wasn’t it?

    The route home took us east along the A477, then A48 & A483 to the M4. I rattled along at around 80mph until I got to the hideous Port Talbot where it poured with rain relentlessly all the way to Cardiff. Eventually I crossed The Prince of Wales Bridge & was back on home ground.

    I stopped at Leigh Delemare Services just to fill up with fuel & then raced on home via the A329, M3, M25 & M23.

    I arrived home, after riding the 268 miles, at 6.30pm, just in time to watch the last few overs of the 2nd Ashes Test. Chris & Angela dropped Jackie off about 25 minutes later. This ended another fantastic trip in which we covered the whole of the southern coast of Ireland.

    Thank you Chris & Angela for letting us tag along.

    Song of the Day - Go, Move, Shift by Christy Moore

    Bonus Song of the Day :-

    Ride On by Christy Moore.
    Read more