Satellite
  • Day 7

    Day 7 - Wallowing in the Adriatic

    August 10, 2020 in Slovenia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Today was going to be a beach day hell or high water.

    Before 9.00am we were down in the breakfast room feasting on a damn good buffet selection of quality products. I always try to get my money’s worth, so I started off with the prosciutto, ham and cheese, building up my platter worthy of last night’s starter. Then it was rounds of croissants, fruit, yoghurt and finally bread. Jackie had the same but in far smaller proportions.

    After breakfast we packed a beach bag & Jackie put her purse in the safe & went to reset the code, but managed to lock the door before doing so. Luckily the manager had a key to open it up.

    We then drove to the recommended Kanegra Beach about 6 miles away. We are staying just 2 miles over the border with Slovenia and our journey took us on a route that looked down on the long line of traffic queuing to get into Croatia.

    15 minutes later, we arrived at Kanegra Beach, which is part of a camping resort. The bad news was that it was going to cost us nearly £9 to park for the day. We tried to haggle with the ticket attendant, but he was having none of it. We paid our money, parked up & walked along the coast to the main beach.

    The beach was pebbly but we had our little booties and the water was crystal clear. Across the water was Slovenia’s Adriatic Coast. When we arrived the beach was pretty empty, but soon it started to fill up with families with kids trying to ruin our day. They didn’t quite.

    As intended we did nothing but sunbathed on our mat & wallowed in the cool water. Lunch consisted of a couple of beers at a little water front cafe. We didn’t need to wear our masks at any time & it was interesting to note that social distancing didn’t seem to be a thing in these parts.

    Gone 5.00pm, we packed up & drove to a EuroSpar to get some wine. This was the first time that we were required to wear our masks at anytime since arriving in Croatia. We picked up a couple of bottles of cheap plonk & drove back to the B&B.

    After showers, we took our iPads & a bottle of wine down to a table at the back of the B&B to plan our onward journey. We had just started drinking our wine out of cardboard cups, when a waiter felt sorry for us & brought us out two wine glasses.

    After much research, we took an almighty leap of faith & booked 5 nights at a cheap campsite for our tent on Pitchup.com. I am quite excited, but also slightly apprehensive. The campsite has it’s own lovely looking beach, but on the downside it is child & pet friendly! We have reasoned that other beaches are within easy walking/cycling distance to the campsite & if we really hate it we can just pack up & leave.

    We then returned to La Parenzana for our dinner. Embarrassingly they had already set up & reserved our table in the same place as last night, but we had decided to take a corner table resulting in the waiter having to re-lay it.

    Our paired down dinner consisted of just a main each. Jackie had beef steak with mushrooms, potatoes & a side salad, whilst I had gnocchi with oxen tail, which came with 2 large tail bones in it. The meat was sensational. To complete the meal we had a basket of bread with olive oil & balsamic vinegar which we couldn’t finish & a litre of house red which we did!

    By 9.00pm we were done & asleep shortly after.

    Song of the Day : Broken Stones by Paul Weller.
    Read more