Satellite
  • Day 17

    Day 17 - Adriatic Commie Chef

    August 20, 2020 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Woke up this morning loving our new campsite. We are too quick to judge. The view & ambiance are perfect.

    I got up at 6.00am to watch my Skinny Minnie neighbour don her cycling gear, carbo up, prepare her bike & cycle off. She is looks to be a pro or semi-pro cyclist.

    At 8.00am we went to the advertised camp shop. It was a table with just 3 loaves of bread, a tray of tomatoes & a couple of melons.

    This was not what we had in mind, so we drove 2 minutes down the road to Tommy’s Hipermarket, not a typo. What a fantastic supermarket. We got carried away & bought litres of wine, gallons of beer, a cooking pot & all the ingredients for a chilli on carne which included a kilo of minced beef. We also bought a meat pasty, proper milk & pretty much most of the store.

    After a sumptuous breakfast, we went down to our campsite beach. It was relatively quiet & a joy to sit on. We had pre-judged it, it was probably the best beach so far on this trip.

    We had a liquid lunch at the cafe, then returned to beach for a siesta. We both woke up around 4.00pm to discover we were now surrounded by mothers with hordes of screaming kids & not now the best beach.

    During lunch we discovered that Croatia was now subject of quarantine measures should we return to UK 🇬🇧 any time soon. I’m hoping this doesn’t effect our intended entry into Montenegro.

    In similar news “Germany has now designated two Croatian regions - Sibenik-Knin and Split-Dalmatia - as virus risk regions and warned against travel there. Arrivals in Germany from those areas will face mandatory tests for coronavirus.” Brilliant, that is where we have just come from & where we are now!

    At 5.30pm, we left the beach & began preparations of our chilli. I turned into Adriatic Commie Chef of the Year. WE created a chilli con carne of chopped onions, garlic & pepper & added half a kilo of minced beef, then added salt, pepper, water, chilli con carne powder, sugar, dried chilli flakes, bovril, tinned tomatoes & finally kidney beans. After stirring for nearly 2 hours, it was ready & tasted wonderful. Washed down with a loaf of bread & white wine.

    It was a superb evening, cooking on the Adriatic coast, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be quite the same in our kitchen in Cuckfield!

    During the evening, I managed to have a chat with my cycling neighbour & learnt that she cycled half of the perimeter of the island & met her family at the famous beach in Bol. She said it was busy, but would probably be even busier at the weekend.

    We will probably go tomorrow, Friday I think.

    Song of the Day : Can U Cook? by Seasick Steve.
    Read more