Satellite
  • Day 38

    Day 38 - Pottering About

    September 10, 2020 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    I had a dreadful night sleep, kept getting attacked by a mosquito 🦟. One of the downsides of not having air conditioning.

    I still wasn’t feeling fantastic, so we pottered about on our balcony making the most of no one else being here.

    During the morning, I returned to our car to locate my spare inner tube. I ended up emptying the whole boot & turning the car interior upside down, but I couldn’t find it for love or money. Whilst doing so I met Ivo who told me he had been working on his smallholding since 5am & was now going for a swim.

    When I returned to the apartment, I found Jackie sunbathing on the concrete dock & Ivo having a swim. Jackie told me that Ivo had dropped the bombshell that his Ukrainian ‘friend’ was arriving on Friday. Not good news.

    Ivo had talked about him the previous evening saying that he lived in the Crimea & had both a Ukrainian & a Russian passport. He is allegedly a businessman who has a business video call every morning at 9.00am. Great.

    Later during the morning, Ivo brought down a glass of homemade orangecella & another of carob. The orangecella was lovely. Ivo hung around for awhile, but probably got the message that we weren’t interested in chatting.

    Before lunch Jackie insisted on having another look for the inner tube & found it immediately tucked in a corner in the boot. She didn’t mention it again. We had a homemade cheese & ham toastie for lunch, then resumed sunbathing on the deck. It was very peaceful & pleasant, but it wouldn’t be the same if we have to share it.

    When the sun was going down, I changed my inner tube, then got ready to go out. We were both feeling much better so we decided to try Konoba Skafetin which just a half a mile walk away. It was THE Tripadvisor top rated restaurant out of 242 on Korcula Island.

    We turned up without a reservation, but were lucky enough to get the last remaining table. Jackie order the seafood pasta, which arrived in a bag & contained prawns, mussels, whelks & razor clams all in sauce with penne. I had the meat of the day which turned out to be pork in a Chinese sauce with vegetables. Both dishes were excellent & fairly reasonable priced.

    The day ended with a couple of snifters on the balcony.

    Song of the Day : Nothing Ever Happens by Del Amitri.
    Read more