Satellite
  • Day 3

    Crazy Caracas - Wednesday

    March 8, 2017 in Venezuela ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    The last few days in Caracas have been a bit crazy to say the least...
    On Wednesday I went to the Parque Francisco de Miranda, a huge public park that felt like a jungle. I hired a peddle-boat on the lake and watched 3-foot long iguanas pace around the banks and jump in the water. Macaw Parrots are also common and easily spotted from their bright colours and loud sqwarks.
    The park also has animal enclosures, so I saw plenty of crocodile, monkeys, tropical birds and even a jaguar!
    Anyway whilst at the park, my host Joel got his motorbike stolen from outside the hospital. His minimal reacton told me this kind of stuff happens a lot... Late that afternoon I met up with Joel and 2 of his friends; Simon (a music producer from England), and Andrew (Funny Scottish teacher at Joel's School).
    We went on an interesting trip to the bank, where it turns out getting cash in this country is near impossible! From ATMs you can only withdraw around 3,000Bs (80p) as more will not fit out of the machine! So after a 2-hour wait and various procedures in the bank, we emerged with a ridiculous carrier-bag full of cash, worth only £20. We had intended to get ten times that amount but comedically wiped out the bank and come out with fuck all. Some saw the funny side, and I found it hilarious, but for the other 3 who live hear, a good long rant at Venezuela started, leaving me in stitches...
    That Night we had a bit of a party in Andrews flat, where I met several other people, English and Venezuelan, and got very drunk. Me and Joel ended up going to a local club at 3am to see other friends of his including American Laura and Canadian Kelly (her birthday). We stayed an hour or so and got back to the flat late, before heading to the rooftop to chill and look over the city night-scape with more rum. We must have got to bed close to 5am, and Joel was up for work at 7! What a hero, I don't know how he did it...
    Read more