Satellite
  • Day 43

    Italian Hospitality & Proscutto -Bologna

    June 20, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    We had an amazing tour of a local prosciutto factory: Prosciuttificio Montevecchio S.r.l. in Bologna. We learned about the process of making high quality Procutto. They start in January provide two seven day salt cures and massages followed by a 70 day pre dry room and a 9 month aging process thereafter. To be considered a DOP prosciutto it must be aged for 14 months rhen inspected. Ricardo our tour guide had an amazing story he was the victim of a car accident and was in a coma for 20 days and pulled out of it. Now he gives tours as well as works in Agriculture nearby.

    Allessandro our host was certainly an entertainer and he and his girlfriend were fun getting to know. He spoiled us with extras like homemade mozzarella and tomatoes, strawberries with a 25 year old balsamic (consistency of syrup) poured on top, as well as pasta, sauce, and wine to take home. It was Italian hospitality at its finest. The prosciutto we sampled was some of the best we ever had. When we were done for the day Ricardo gave us a ride back to the train station. What a great find (Dave)!
    Read more