Satellite
  • Day 10

    Glacier National Park

    July 10, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We got here Saturday evening, set up camp, made a quick dinner, and then went for a quick drive through the park. Sunday morning we got up early and did the Hidden Lake Trail hike. There was still a lot of snow! It was a little slippery on the way back down, as it was warming up & the snow started getting slushy. Towards the end of the trail we came across a mountain goat & a marmot just hanging out and eating right in the middle of the trail! On the way back to camp, we saw 3 big horn sheep and a bear.

    We haven't had any phone or internet service since we passed through Helena, so we decided to have lunch in town to try to find service or free WiFi. We had lunch at a great place called Two Sisters Café. (Apparently the owners have a place in San Antonio). We highly recommend the Lemon-Huckleberry Bread Pudding and the Huckleberry Mountain (a brownie with Huckleberry ice cream!). Our waiter told us the only way to get phone service around here is with Verizon. Boo! But he offered us his phone to contact people & post on FB. He also recommend a hike in Many Glacier. We went out there to hike to Cracker Lake. Many Glacier was beautiful, but the trail to Cracker Lake was very narrow in many places & was also used by the horse tours, so it was all Muddy horse tracks & lots of manure 😕. We made it a mile or two in before turning back. Lucky we did, because it started raining on the way back & by the time we made it to the car, it was coming down pretty hard. I can't imagine slipping all the way along that muddy horse manure trail in the pouring rain!

    We went back to camp for a bit & had some dinner before heading back out. We hiked down to St. Mary's Falls, which was beautiful & so blue it looked fake! It started to drizzle on the hike back & as we started driving again it started raining again, so we called it a night.

    It stormed most of the night. We tried to sleep in a little to wait out the rain, but it kept up, so we got up around 7 & packed up in the rain. We drove through the end of the park we hadn't seen yet on the way out, although it was so foggy we didn't get to see much else. I did get a great pic of a pretty blue creek after the fog lifted though. We got service back as we left the park. Now we're off to Washington!
    Read more