Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Ucluelet Vancouver Island

    July 30, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Vancouver Island, wow I think this has been my favourite place yet! From Vancouver we caught a ferry with our rental car over to Vancouver island and drove across the island to ucuelet to stay for the week in our air BnB. This place is seriously amazing, chilled laid back and very much like Kuranda back home. A short 30 min drive took us into Tofino the main tourist attraction town. The beauty of having an air BnB apartment meant that we could go food shopping and made breakfasts, lunches and a few home made dinners at home which after almost 4 weeks travelling we were very happy about!

    We spent a day surfing down at Long Beach, we had to hire wet suits because the water was so cold. We also decided to splash out for a day doing some tourist tours - we chartered a sea plane for us 4 to take us to Hot Springs Cove!! Wow this was a highlight and would recommend to everyone - we booked the sea plane for 5.30pm which meant everyone on the tourist boats was leaving the island as we got there so we had the amazing natural hot springs to ourselves! The hot springs ran down a natural rock formation with little pools of water that you could sit in. The water was very hot but luckily the rocky pools ran down into the ocean so as high tide came in the lower pools received some cold water from the ocean. We could tell the strength of the water as it stripped the silver from Katie's anklet but our skin felt amazing after!

    We also went on a whale watching tour in an open zodiac boat. Wow how lucky are we - the boaties said this was one of the best days this year! We saw a killer whale which was very rare for the area. 2 gray whales, sea lions, Inlet porpoise, bald eagle, sea otters!! Amazing!

    We then also experienced some of the very old big trees and rain forests in the area. We took a water taxi over to the Big Tree Trail on Meares Island, this trail was beautiful and had so much history. Vancouver went through a very big tree lopping stage many years ago and this island forest ended up being saved by the local protesters so some of the trees were over 1200 years old! It was such a beautiful thing to experience this kind of forest and history - absolutely loved it!

    Wish I could post more photos because I took about 500!
    Read more