Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Cancun, Mexico

    August 11, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    After 5 weeks of holidays and let's say a little bit of partying Jay and I needed some down time so off to Mexico we went. We stayed in Krystal Cancun for 6 nights and took advantage of the beach front resort style living. We spent days laying on beach chairs drinking margaritas and swimming in the bright blue ocean. It was amazing! Mexico weather reminded us a lot like summer back home, hot and humid so we spent a lot of time in the water but unfortunately despite our efforts we both got a bit sunburnt.

    While in Cancun we also had a few tours booked to see the local culture and one of the 7 Wonders of the World. We went on a tour to see the amazing Chichen Itza, our tour guide was incredible, a true local who showed us the local side of the Mayan culture taking us to small towns where we could speak to the locals and purchase gifts knowing that the funds where going straight back to the Mayan families. He also explained a side of the history of Chichen Itza unlike the popular stories online which was refreshing to learn.
    We also visited the beautiful Ik Kil Centote, this was one place I had on my bucket list. An amazing swimming whole inside a Centote.

    One of the other tours we did was swimming with whale sharks!! Wow what can I say, swimming with these beautiful gentle giants was very humbling. Again we were with a very local tour guide on a small boat with a group of 6 other people. We put our snorkel gear on jumped off the boat and swam along side these amazing creatures - amazing!

    Best part for me about being in Cancun was that all of our tours, accomodation and car transfers (between tours, airport and hotel) was booked through Flight Centre and every company we dealt with was great. All the tours and transfer people were locals and made us feel very safe and welcome.
    Read more