Satellite
  • Day 41

    Playa Del Carmen

    August 17, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    To end our amazing 7 week holiday we headed to Playa Del Carmen, about an hours drive from Cancun to spend the last 5 nights relaxing. And that is about all we did and we loved it! We started most days with a sleep in and then would head up to the hotel buffet breakfast and then would sit by the pool with a cocktail.

    We loved Playa Del Carmen! The town is a bit smaller then Cancun and not as touristy, the streets look a little bit more run down then Cancun and at first Jay and I didn't know what to expect however once we checked in and walked the streets we felt very safe and more at ease then we did in Cancun. In Cancun you can't walk down the street without being harassed by people trying to sell you things. This did not happen in Playa Del Carmen nearly as much. It wasn't a huge issue for us in Cancun as we had a beautiful big resort that was right on the beach and had everything inside that we needed.

    In Playa though we decided to stay in a small hotel a few blocks back from the beach so that we could experience some of the more local restaurants and it was great! The hotel reception recommended some local places to go for dinner that were a short walk from the hotel and Jay and I went to this one place about 3 times! Menu all in Spanish, restaurant filled with locals, great food, great service and very cheap. We also did some exploring of the town, checked out the beach and the famous 5th avenue markets and shopping.

    We loved our time here and enjoyed spending the end of our trip fully relaxing. At the end of our week we started our long journey home, 30 hours of flying and 3 planes later we arrived. Thank you to our amazing travel buddies and our Canadian family for hosting us for so long! Also thank you to Flight Centre Byron Bay where my amazing friend works who organised the second half of our incredible holiday - I could not have booked everything without you and I would highly recommend flight centre to anyone looking at overseas travel!
    Read more