Satellite
  • Day 17

    Olsztyn - Tuesday

    August 30, 2016 in Poland ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    More catch-up posts!

    (*TESSA*) We travelled by train to Olsztyn, a town in the north of Poland and rented a car. Right hand side drive! I felt fierce – travelling 120km +, overtaking on the left and navigating all the overtaking by speed hounds who create an imaginary lane when need be. I drove us to Wolf’s Lair – Hitler’s home for three years of WWII and an administrative hub for the war.

    Wolf’s Lair is a spooky place, not least because the motivations for all the visitors are unclear. For instance, a couple of German kids, climbing and playing fake gun warfare seemed to valorise the place. Our guide told us it is not uncommon to find flowers outside Hitler’s bunker in memorial. I would have destroyed any memorial of that nature had we seen one.

    The bunkers were blown up by the retreating Germans so as to be of no use to the Allies. Nature is reclaiming them.

    We spent the night at what Sheldon called, the Daylesford of Poland. Kathy and Team, we hope to convince you to come back with us one day. The accommodation at rock bottom prices was extremely high quality. Our host was extremely helpful with sightseeing suggestions, and we wished we could stay another night. As it was, we dined by the lake and drove through the town the next morning. We had no time for more, with the rental car due back and our train tickets already booked for Warsaw. In the end, we had more time than we thought – our train was delayed almost two hours. We spent it on the platform in complete ignorance of what was going on. Here, as in other cities, we got approached for advice. We must be doing an ok job of blending in. Until we speak. I’ll never forget the face on one woman after catching us off guard by addressing us in fluent Polish. Rather than our usual butchered greeting, ‘Gin Dob Re,’ we replied with a broad Aussie “Hello” in unison. She was so shocked she covered her face in our hands, stepped back and started laughing.

    Dinner was pierogi of course, what else?
    Read more