Satellite
  • Day 21

    Moscow - Saturday

    September 3, 2016 in Russia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    A long time on the train, a very very long time. Long and not very exciting until about 1am where the Polish border guards followed by the Belarus border guards kept us for what felt like 30 minutes by walking up and down the train checking and stamping everyone’s passports and documents. Eventually they left and even though the train stopped and started and changed directions continually, we arrived on time in Moscow.
    At the train station we were met by a taxi driver organised by the tour company we were using for our Russian section of our holidays and he took us to our hotel, a Russian branch of the Best Western chain. A very nice hotel although the décor and the 1940s Western music pumping through the place made me think of the Fallout game series.
    Check in felt a bit like checking in at the airport. We went through security gates, had our passports registered and signed official documents. This was all made more fun by the free champagne.
    We spent much of the remaining day recovering from the long train trip (I personally was starting to become run-down) and we had to take advantage of the cheap but plentiful dinner buffet before we hit the hay.
    Read more