Satellite
  • Day 25

    Twizil to Wanaka via Mount Cook

    January 29, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Left the site quite early to begin the make the journey around Lake Pukakl to the amazing. Lint Cook. The sky was blue and there were few clouds to be reflected in the clear blue waters of the lake. Several stops on route gave us increasingly amazing views of the mountain until we were so close you could see all the snow and glaciers in detail. Amazing! The Information centre here is very pleasant and ‘morning tea’ particularly welcoming. There is also an interesting exhibition about mountaineering, including the first woman climber. Hard to imagine that gentlemen climbed in Harris tweed jackets and collar and tie; while ladies wore long flowing skirts. The comparison with today’s kit is unbelievable.
    After an al fresco lunch at Hooker Valley it was off on the next part of our journey, south to Wanaka. Again we passed through fantastic countryside: high mountains, the Lindis Pass and incredible open farm land. A continuing geography lesson rolling out in front of us. Such a delight. It’s been 35 degrees to day even when we arrived here at around 6-30. NZ seems to be having such fantastic weather this summer. To morrow we explore, until then a cool drink then some dinner when it’s a little cooler.
    Read more