Satellite
  • Day 11

    Sunny VIENNA

    May 9, 2016 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    6AM alarm didn't go off. NO we automatically woke up at 5:30am. We packed last night to make it easier in the morning. Train ride is scheduled for 10:15am.
    Luckily it's just a 5 minute walk.
    With time to spare we walked next door to the mall. Stores were closed so we went to the mall grocery store. Fun to see different items from home.
    Hubby surprised me by buying me a beautiful necklace and earrings from the lobby of our hotel. This will be so meaningful to me cuz he gave it to me in my favorite city. ♥
    Even when we try to take up time we seem be quick.
    So.....guess we'll get some coffee/lattes at the Starbucks next door. We loved the location of this hotel everything is within walking distance.
    Went to the train station and hung out close to our departure train platform. Found our "FIRST CLASS SEATS" they're really comfy with lots of room. Decided to order lunch on this 2.5 hour train ride.
    John had Mac 'n Cheese, salad and beer I had Apple juice from our backpack and a panini which was bread with what seemed like a 1/4 inch bologne slice. (I was hungry so I ate 1 slice of bread with the meat. I don't really like BOLOGNE but like I said "I was hungry".
    The mustard came in a tube which was different. I'm not a mustard person so I just put a dab for taste.
    The view on the way was very pretty. I haven't seen that much green in a long while.
    We arrived in Vienna 10 minutes later than scheduled. We got a taxi right outside the terminal. Our taxi driver a singer who indicated he sang at venues around Austria. Not sure if he was for real but his singing was pretty good.
    We arrived at our hotel. Not going to be one of our favs but it's walking distance to a church, shopping area, taxi and food. Seems to be run by an older austrian man who speaks pretty good english.
    The elevator is so small only two people fit at a time. We have a key to our room and one to the front door of the hotel. Room has everything we need and is spacious. The bed is comfy but it is so low. Guess we can roll out of it. Hahahaha.
    We decided to make our first sightseeing tour by foot and by Horse Carriage. The city is very beautiful. Lots of shopping ~ stores, boutiques, bakeries, high end jewlry stores, shoes, clothes....
    John keeps saying that the streets and buildings look like the fake back drop at a movie studio. I just keep telling him "this is the REAL DEAL"!
    We caught a taxi to drive us back after a nice dinner at Hard Rock Cafe. The taxi driver gave us a tour on the way back. Stopped to view the American Embassy in Vienna where my Uncle Joe worked while serving in the Marines. Not sure if it was the right location but they have it so secured you even have to get an approval to take a picture of it.
    It's been a long enjoyable day. We're tired but have been able ro rest for the next day.
    Tomorrow is shopping, seeing inside of churches more sightseeing and a river cruise. Hoping to get to the ferris wheel for night viewing of the city.
    Read more