Satellite
  • Day 12

    Vienna "O" VIENNA.

    May 10, 2016 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    SLEEP? Yes we finally got to sleep in and it was wonderful. No rushing today.
    This morning we started at our Starbucks close to our hotel. About a 7 minute walk down part of a street that has every shop, restaurant, ice cream shop....you name it it will probably be on this 10 mile stretch.
    Decided to sit outside and enjoy the street views and people watch. Once we finished we walked to see up close some of the historical spots we saw yesterday.
    The buildings here are historical buildings that are both beautiful and filled with so much history.
    Weather today started off cool. It later became cloudy and we thought for sure we'd get some rain. We are happy to say "no rain" showed up. Got cooler as we walked and shopped.
    We made it to Vienna University and bought a few things there. A nice man from Norway that we asked for directions was nice enough to walk us over to the student store. Such a beautiful university.
    We then walked to St. Stephans and we were lucky that there was no line to get in. Yesterday the line was about an hour long. This cathedral is amazingly beautiful. But then again european churches are so full of art, architecture and are amazing. The peace you feel inside touches your heart in a blessed way.
    John and I decided to have lunch at a pizza place close to the cathedral. Pizza was good and gave us the energy to continue with our walk.
    We found a smaller church tucked away that we decided to walk into. Not filled with much but you could tell the church had been there for years. It's kinda strange but this church was surrounded by bars and clubs. We spoke to a police officer who was pretty young. He was securing this district because of the shortage of officers. (Everytime they mention DISTRICT it reminds me of THE HUNGER GAMES) but this is how Vienna is divided. Guess it would be like our counties.
    We then walked to the area where we will be boarding our boat for the Danube River Cruise. We arrived early so we sat outside at a cafe. It was very cold. Luckily cafés here will give you a blanket to borrow while you sit outside. The cappuccino helped but it was still very cold. Think they need outdoor heaters. Some places do have them.
    We set out on our cruise hot wine to start with and get the blood moving again. Decided to have dinner and beer while enjoying the cruise.
    The day didn't stop there. We walked over to ride the ferriswheel and view Vienna. It moves very slow and the view was very pretty.
    We took a taxi back to our hotel. Think we had already walked enough. On a map a great BIG CIRCLE!!
    It was a great day for sure. Until tomorrow...our last day in Vienna.
    Read more