Satellite
  • Day 3

    Front Step

    May 11, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Question 4: “Describe one act of servant leadership that you have seen in Philadelphia.”

    I had my eyes opened to what servant leadership looks like in action. The leader of Front Step, Wesley Tink, was the most inspirational part of the trip for me. He personified the theory of building relationships with the people you serve. He has built such great relationships with the families in his neighborhoods that they have a deep respect for him. This immersion in the culture has helped him enable the people he serves to serve their neighborhoods as well. He has helped create a culture of family.
    His approach also embodies the selfless aspect of servant leadership. He actually lives in New Jersey yet has built this organization in Philadelphia, and it is a priority for him. The day he worked with us he left New Jersey the day after he had a death in the family because our service project was a priority to him. While we were working on neighborhood parks, he noticed some families in the neighborhood that needed help. So, he shifted gears and had us help those with specific needs. It was a seamless transition for him to survey the site and determine the biggest need.
    This was a great example of knowing the people you serve and being able to see the big picture. This helped me understand the difference between servant leadership and volunteering in your community. This leader did not just put in hours and leave. He was a part of the neighborhood he served and that helped him to lead.
    Read more