Satellite
  • Day 4

    Share

    May 12, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Question 5
    “What have you learned about treating every job as an adventure?”

    Working with the SHARE organization was a different type of service work experience for me. The organization works tirelessly to pack boxes of necessities for those in need. These boxes included items such as: fruit juices, cereals, canned food and meats. There are different packages patrons can choose from. Our leadership team worked like a factory conveyer belt. Each of us was responsible for adding an item to the boxes.
    It was the first service experience I had had that required no thought, planning or creativity. To some that may seem like a dream job because it was so simple. However, it was the most difficult work I have done. That is how I learned the importance of making each job an adventure. One way we did this at this particular site was to set a goal of 1000 boxes packed. We worked hard and fast and encouraged each other to keep going so that we could make or beat the goal we set for ourselves.
    Although this was a small activity to do with our work, it made a big difference in the laborious task. It also made me realize that challenges and team work help to create this adventure we need to seek out in every job we do. Although packing the boxes did not require any great strength or talent from any of us, it required all of us to work together. In any job we approach, if we attack it as a team, think outside the box, and find ways to challenge ourselves, it will be an adventure.
    Read more