Satellite
  • Day 814

    Sledging Fun

    February 19, 2018 in Finland ⋅ 🌙 -13 °C

    I wake just in time for the sunrise and just as I think it’s not that great the sun lights the sky with a beautiful orange glow. Once everyone is up we have breakfast and after a shower we’re out the door. The first stop is in the town where we go in the designer shop that sells lots of local wears including hand knitted items and clothes as well as artisan items. We take a walk down to the lake, but can only walk so far as the track is dedicated solely to skiers and they go crazy if your caught 😂😂
    We make our way to pick up moumou ( grandma) and on root I spot a park full of snowmen. We pull over and Ida explains they we’re built a while ago when it was warmer but because it’s so cold they haven’t defrosted. Back in the car we arrive at grandmas before taking her to lunch at the local spa. Lunch is pork cooked in a mustard sauce and various other items including salads and potatoes. After lunch we drive to Ruka a small town but it’s one of the largest skiing resorts in Finland as much as I’m keen to try everything skiing is a no go for me as breaking my leg would destroy the long term plan and knowing how clumsy i am I’m not going to take the risk. The scenery here is beautiful even though it’s a lot of trees and snow its very different every way you look. We make our way back to the cabin as sledging is today’s activity and Ida’s goddaughters are meeting us there. I try and convince moumou that she should join us but she’s having none of it so me and the girls head out with the sleds. I can’t believe how hard work it is the going down is fine but as I get off and try and climb back up the snow is waist deep and I literally have to climb through it and by the time I get to the top I can barely breathe. We have a couple more goes and it does get slightly easier as the snow gets packed. Ada then suggests we go along the road with the sleds and she pulls me. I have a scream but i have to say when I have to do the pulling it near damn kills me. We finish up and head inside for the best hot chocolate ever joined with Finnish sweet rolls called laskiaispulla which are filled with cream and jam followed by coffee ☕️. We are joined by lots more family and loads of kids. It’s great how family are so important here and everyone talks rather than watching tv 📺 we all sit round the table and drink coffee and eat breads and cheese this is very traditional so who Evers house you go to the put the percolated coffee on and everyone comes together at the table , even the young children. The only telly that’s been watched since I’ve been here is the Winter Olympics. Everyone leaves after a few hours and the Sauna is on. it’s a well known fact that going from hot to cold is really good for the soul so sticking with tradition I jump out of the sauna and run outside where I roll in the snow then back into the sauna and I have to say it’s amazing. Shortly after as I go outside the sky is lit up in one area and I run back inside to tell the guys. They come out and confirmed it’s the northern lights and as they’ve seen it before I stay outside to try and get some photos. I truly am blessed to see them as it’s not a regular occurrence here but another box ticked and I go to bed a happy bunny.
    Read more