Satellite
  • Day 859

    Magic Carpets

    April 5, 2018 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    I wake quite late in the morning and after a quick shower just about make it for breakfast. My room is amazing with a fully equipped kitchen and even a dishwasher. Every toiletry imaginable with luxury bath robes and a mini bar containing about 12 different spirits. Breakfast is on the same level with fruits I’ve never seen before( and I’ve seen a few) a multitude of hot dishes and even a whole honeycomb you cut off for honey. I indulge more than I would usually before making my way to the shuttle bus to take me to the suhmaret district. I get dropped at the airport and head for the metro. With a quick change to the tram It takes about 40 mins but is absolutely packed and after giving my seat to an older gentleman istand in the crushed compartment until my stop.
    As soon as I step off the buzz of Istanbul envelopes me like a warm hug. So many people say to me don’t go to Istanbul because of terrorism but terrorism is something that lives in our own back yard and to be honest the way they drive here is far more dangerous.
    Although I’ve visited the ana Sophia mosque and blue mosque before I’m excited to return as their beauty is breathtaking. Sadly one is closed for refurbishment and the other for prayer. As I turn to leave the area a Turkish guy speaks to me and asks me if I’ve seen the cistern. I say no and he asks if I’d like to? I agree and after a small walk he points to it and carry’s on walking telling me to follow. I can’t believe I’ve fallen into the tourist trap and before I know it I’m in a carpet shop. After nearly an hour I’ve learnt a lot about silk carpets and when I ask the price of the smallest one the guy tells me it’s 1100 quid, I’d expect it to fly for that it’s no bigger than a bath mat. After much toing and froing I make my excuses and leave the shop but before leaving ask if they can give me assistance in buying a wedding gift. I’m taken to a jewellery shop and purchase my gift of a bangle for the bride. This is traditional as when the men went to war the women would have the bangles to be able to survive financially if anything happened to their husband.
    Read more