Satellite
  • Day 16

    Road Trip Day 2

    May 21, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We spent the night at the Hotel of 100 Cats. At least I think that is what it is called. It was very remote but there were a lot of hikers passing through Monteluco on their pilgrimage from Rome to Assissi. It is very hilly. Good luck to them.
    After breakfast we wandered to the small monastery, where monks still live today. I’ve added a photo of a room that a monk had lived in, and they were still being used up until the 1960s. I’m not sure if the photo will show the size of the rooms but they are tiny.
    As the monastery is a place of reverence you have to whisper in there. Stefano made a donation to the monastery and then picked up a leaflet and said “Oh look Debbie, we can adopt a monk. I wonder if we will get to name him”. Debbie and I lost it and rushed out of the monastery as quick as we could. We headed down the hill and then laughed for about ten minutes. Strangely enough I think he is seriously considering it. He hasn’t stopped talking about it all day and wants to know if he will get an annual photo and update.
    Hopped in the car and headed off to Assissi. The Italians are mad drivers and Graham doesn’t need any encouragement to drive like them, but I think Stefano is providing it. The scenery was, like every day, spectacular. Every couple of minutes there is a little town on the hill and they have three things in common – at least one church, a castle and a great big wall around the town to keep out invaders. Our word of the day is “wow”.
    Read more