Satellite
  • Day 21

    Four Trains and a Ferry

    May 26, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Had a fabulous time in Vernazza but off to Venice. Graham carried the two cases down the steepest stairs I have ever seen. Well done to him. Got on the first train with time to spare. Had a 30 minute lay over before the second train from La Spezia to Pisa so all relaxed. As we were in first class we wandered to the end of the platform. The very, very long train arrives with no first class in sight. Where is it? Down the other end. Sprinted from one end of the platform to the other and Graham threw the cases up the stairs. Just made it, but because we were late had to store the bags in the doorway so I spent the next hour of what should have been a relaxing, first class train journey pacing up and down to check on my suitcase.
    Got to Pisa and had 10 minutes to get down through the underpass and up the other side onto the next train, so threw the cases down the stairs and then Graham had to carry both up. Made train number 3. Fifteen minutes at Florence to get train number 4 but by now I was a tad stressed so when we were queuing patiently to get on a lady pushed in front my inner bitch came out and I just about flattened her with my suitcase. Wrong day to push my buttons lady! Once again Graham was throwing cases up into trains and off again.
    Finally arrived in Venice, and now for the fun of the ferry with suitcases. After waiting for three ferries to get on one a young man tried to push past me so I ran over his foot with my suitcase. When will they learn.
    So we made it to our hotel in one piece after a very physical journey and we are still talking. Lucky we have lost weight and Graham has been working out – that’s all I can say!
    Read more