Satellite
  • Day 22

    Magical Venice

    May 27, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We are looooving Venice. There’s a surprise around every corner. You also get lost around every corner. Our hotel is on the canal. We paid extra for a canal room, as you do, and we are rewarded with the world’s smallest balcony. I’ve attached a photo of Graham on said balcony. I had to take it from the room as we both can’t half stand on it at once. But we do get to hear the gondolas go past with the gondoliers chatting and singing away. They are a happy lot. Apparently they are incredibly well paid and smoke a lot of weed.

    Graham is bringing out a book in Spring 2018 – 1001 Gondolas of Venice I Have Photographed. There will be a follow up book Summer 2019 – And Here Are the Canals.

    We visited the bell tower of St Mark’s Basilica before the crowds to get a bird’s eye view over Venice. Then off to Doge’s Palace, which was a bit of a mix of Parliament House and Supreme Court. Saw the cell Casanova escaped from. Managed to squeeze in a Crime and Punishment Exhibition and then wandered around getting lost.

    Had a lovely dinner (aren’t they all) and asked for the bill. Certainly sir, but here are some biscuits first. Well it would be rude not to eat them. Asked for the bill again. Certainly, but now here is the limoncello. Still rude to refuse. About an hour later we rolled out and were rolling home through St Mark’s Square to find it full of people, as the restaurants on the square had orchestras playing. Everyone was clapping along and some were dancing. It was wonderful!
    Read more