Satellite
  • Day 26

    Murren Day 1

    May 31, 2018 in Switzerland ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Thanks to the incredibly efficient Swiss rail system we caught four trains, a cable car and cogwheel train and arrived in Murren. We walked out of the train station and both dropped our bags and were laughing hysterically as the views were so spectacular. We were bent over double laughing - people must have thought we were on drugs.
    Wandered up to our hotel to find we had a room on the edge of the mountain with a balcony. We sit out there (drink in hand) and look at the mountains and snow and clouds and wonder if life gets any better than this.Murren is such a lovely mountain village with no cars but plenty of cows.
    Decided to go for a hike (no one walks here - we only hike now) to Gimmelwald. Well I obviously read the hiking board wrong as I thought it was a 20 minute hike. It was not. It also was not a straight hike. It was down the mountain. Half way down there was a board giving some info on the area and the average gradient is 80%. Of course we were zigzagging to get down but it was bloody steep. Got all the way there and the only place to get a drink, the local bar, was shut for a wedding. All the houses have eskies out the front with their cheese for sale. Everyone has a couple of cows and they all have bells so it's all we could hear. That and the sound of me puffing.
    And what goes down must come up, but it will be incredibly unhappy on the way up. Made it alive and sat on our balcony having a drink and local cheese, watching the paragliders going past.
    We may never leave.
    Read more