Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Sumydero Canyon y los Zapatistas

    February 16, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    The Canyon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumidero_Canyon is 35 years old. Same as the Grand Canyon and Colorado River. 30 km long.
    The highest point of on the Canyons steep wall is 1000 meters. 1 kilometer! Impressive.
    Jonathan and Milena (CS from Merida now working in San Cristobal) came a long.

    The Mexican government had long planned to build a direct road from San Cristobal to Palenque (two hours drive) as well as a train throughout the southeast of Mexico. The Canyon is on the way to Palenque.
    The zapatistas would not let them. So it took us much longer. The road is protected by Federal Police because of possible assaults. Yet the zapatistas put in place road blocks and ask for toll.
    The police does not intervene. The bigger problem than the toll are the road blocks which can hold up your journey for hours, sometimes for days.
    One gentleman in the boss described the Zapatista movement as follows.

    „They get substantial funds and help from the Mexican government (to the Mayan community in the region) yet they still complain about the goverment“.😂

    I‘m going to Palenque on Wednesday and will take to even longer route to not get held up on my way. That will be 8 hours instead of 4-5. It‘s overnight so I thing it is ok.

    The article below is an informative and easy read.

    https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/…
    Read more