Satellite
  • Day 3

    Love&Hate in Málaga

    June 15, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    I have kind of a bittersweet relationship with Malaga. I've been going there since I was a baby, as my family on my mother's side comes from Malaga but I've never really liked it. Too hot, too noisy, too dirty, too many things at the same time. The city has improved, though, and so have my feelings towards her.

    I was only two months old when I flew for the first time and the destination was Malaga, where I was to be christened. As you can imagine, I have no recollections of that particular trip and most of my childhood memories are a mix of hot days in a crowded house on the outskirts of the city, sunny days spent in the swimming pool at my auntie's, long road trips with my parents to lost villages whose beauty I could not appreciate and stressful Sunday roasts where everyone would talk way too loud. Oh, and I also remember that time my mother took me to watch the 'procesiones' and told me to ask the 'nazarenos' to pour melted wax on my hand to make a ball throughout the week. The kind of fun all eight-year-olds want to have.

    Things are definitely better when your hand is not being burnt by some masked penitent and I've had more fun in recent trips than I ever did when I was a child. I had even planned to go this year for Easter but things didn't turn out that way in the end. But hey, I'm going there in a couple of weeks. Ten days of sun and sea at the Costa del Sol can do no wrong and there's quite a lot to do in Malaga. Here's a short list of what to do and see:

    - Go to the beach (actually, I don't remember I've ever been to the beach in the city centre so this is high on my list. Also, because I've never bathed in the Mediterranean. They say it's warmer, isn't it?)
    - See a museum or two. The city has been revamped recently and major developments have focused on its cultural side. To name a few, you can visit the Pablo Picasso Museum, the Museo Carmen Thyssen, or a permanent venue of the famous Paris' Pompidou Museum.
    - Wander around the city centre and marvel at the many historical buildings. Romans and Arabs both left their imprint on the city and you can visit the ancient Roman Theatre or the Alcazaba fortress. Other interesting buildings are the Cathedral or the old market.
    - Eat 'pescadito frito'. As much as you can.
    Read more