Satellite
  • Day 4

    Miyajima

    October 20, 2014 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    I'm sure most of us have seen the Red Gate, but don't know where it is. It is here in Miyajima Island. It is officially known as the Itsukushima Shrine and appears floating on the water. When the tide is low, you can walk to it. This shrine is a World Heritage Site.

    Besides the gate, there are lots of deers here and they are very accustomed to human contact. Some of them greet you before you can greet them. Pet them. Take pictures with them. But choose your deer wisely. Some may be hostile.

    Apparently mandarin orange ice cream is a must try here. Its a Hiroshima thing. Or a Miyajima thing. I'm not really sure. Eiher way, you ain't going to find it in supermarkets. So just try it, unless you have an orange allergy.

    To get here, you need to get to Hiroshima. It was a day trip for me. I took the shinkansen (bullet train) from Tokyo and returned that evening.

    Then take the train from Hiroshima to Miyajimaguchi station, and then the JR ferry from Miyajimaguchi to Miyajima island. You can use he JR pass for this.

    Visit the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum if you have the time. It is also called the bomb museum as it conveys facts on that event.

    It was a brief visit for me but worthwhile.
    Read more