Satellite
  • Day 3

    Harry Potter, Meet Ben Franklin

    March 16, 2022 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    Up early.
    Finished drying clothes from last night.
    Egg-O waffles, butter, and syrup for breakfast.

    Stripped the beds, tossed the towels into the shower, replaced the table cloth.
    Ubered from the Airbnb property to the Franklin Institute for our 11 AM tour time.
    The is gorgeous on the outside. Very romanesque. It reminds me of the Field Museum in Chicago.

    The inside is a disorganized and aged amalgamation of hallways, ramps, doors, and cubby holes.

    Some of the highlights of the exhibit were having our names projected onto the Marauders' Map, seeing the props and costumes, and the herbology classroom. Comparing the exhibit to the History of Magic exhibit in NYC a couple of years ago, the new show is fun but more of an opportunity to interact with replicas of scenery from the films. This seems to be a money grab for Warner Bros and company as there is very little authenticity about the exhibit other than the costumes, wands, a sorting hat, and the first American edition of the book. Fun for the general public or kids but not recommended for hardcore adult fans of the book or film series.

    Lunch at the Eatery in the museum: cheeseburger, fries, bottled diet coke, and a Snickers to top it off.

    We walked to the 30th Street train station to catch the train to NYC. The train left Philadelphia around 3:45 PM. The trip to NYC was pleasant enough. No issues for the ride north.

    Arrived at Moynihan around 4:45 PM. Walked to the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square South on 37th Street to check-in. The 8th-floor room was small but servicable. The view was of the employees of the garment/laundry service next door toiling away.

    Quickly dropped our luggage and changed clothes before trekking to the Lyric Theatre on 43rd Street for HP and the CC. Beautiful theatre inside and out. The usher told us the theatre has been retrofitted especially for the production.

    Seats: Orchestra Row J, Seats 21, 23, and 25
    Merch Purchased: Albus wand, lapel pin, sweatshirt and keychain for Liz, and a magnet for Dave.

    Searched for food after the show but most places closed at 11. Ended up at Dave and Buster's for nachos.

    Back to the room for sleep. Exhausted and excited to be in NYC again.
    Read more