Satellite
  • Day 16

    Ice and Teddies

    August 17, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Another early start, we had a great buffet breakfast at 6 am, before boarding our catamaran to explore 65 miles up Glacier Bay. We first headed for South Marble island, where dozens of Stellar Sea Lions lazed. No sun today, a constant cold drizzle made life a bit difficult. We saw dozens of Sea Otters, which are much bigger than you would expect, floating on their backs with shellfish on their bellies and stones and to crack them.

    We had a great guide on the boat, Ranger Jenny, who was very enthusiastic and very knowledgeable. The glaciers, there are multiple, are spectacular, and at the Margerie Glacier, we watched as the Glacier cracked and called, dropping huge chunks into the sea with a loud rumble and crash. Even as we watched, the sounds of the glacier cracking and groaning could be heard...quite remarkable. The bay, really a fjord, was littered with bit bergs (small ice bergs also known as growlers, for the noise they make when they collide).

    Along the way, we were lucky enough to see two brown bears...the first was fishing, then came up the beach with a fish...the second was climbing up a rock wall, having flushed already. He posed for us beautifully, seeming to enjoy the attention.

    We stopped on the return journey to drop off 8 kayakers, who with loads of gear, were spending three days in the wilderness, kayaking the bay. Madness in our opinion, given the waters are ice filled, and the temperature is below freezing at night...but, good luck to them!

    This afternoon, we are due to fly to Anchorage, which may be problematic, as the airport has been a bit fog bound the last few days, and apparently flights have been cancelled... Fingers crossed, as we don't have delays scheduled into our travel plans!!!

    Photos to follow!
    Read more