Satellite
  • Day 22

    The Tlingit and the Eyrie

    August 23, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    Today we docked at the quaint village of Hoonah, on Icy Strait Point. It is a tiny village of 850 permanent residents, which quadrupled when we arrived. It was originally a salmon fishing village, with a cannery, but now is a timber industry base, with fishing and tourism a main focus. Seventy percent of the population is of native Tlingit heritage, and very proudly so.

    On disembarking, we took a very pleasant 3km all into the little township, leaving the shuttles for the oldies. First stop, we found a cafe with a barista(!!), which was doing a roaring trade! There was lots of totems and interesting sights, but the best was the Eagles nest, high in a tree on the Main Street. We first saw Poppy Eaglecircling above us, with a fish not his claws...he then landed in he Eyrie, where Momma eagle was waiting with the screaming chicks. Poppy got tired of the screeching babies, so left and sat in another tree, high in the canopy. I managed to get pics - dad us a little unclear, but I was on maximum zoom and Paul's shoulder as my tripod.

    The world's largest Zip line is here, interestingly. It is nearly 2km long with a 500 metre drop. Paul and I signedup to do it, me with trepidation, but also excitement. Our excitement was dashed, though, as Paul was too tall for the harness. Very disappointing, but I wouldn't do it without him... We'll find another and do it there.

    Back on the ship, the clouds suddenly parted, and it was delightful to see some sunshine. Paul and I even wentfor a swim in he pool, though it was a little cool at 9degrees getting out!
    Read more