Satellite
  • Day 34

    Seattle, and the needle as old as I

    September 4, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Today we explored Seattle, Washington. It was a public holiday (Labour Day) here, and people were everywhere!

    We went up the Space Needle, erected in less than a year for the 1962 World's Fair. Good views, but again, due to smoke haze, we could not see Mount Ranier , and the next volcano likely to erupt, the snow-capped Mount Baker was hard to see.

    We caught the monorail down town, another remnant of the World's Fair, and did some browsing. We went to Pike Place Markets, an old time public market of food, and all sorts of things going from Street level and underground. Lots of interesting things to see.

    Seattle has a huge fleet of ferries, and the biggest suburb of permanent house boats around.

    In the afternoon, it was time to move on as we had to return to Vancouver to prepare for our journey home.

    Tonight we stayed in Bellingham, Washington, and went to an awesome Italian restaurant, where everything was handmade...we had some great local wine, got tipsy, ate ourselves silly and finished with home made spumoni icecream. Divine!
    Read more