Satellite
  • Day 4

    Poé to Ile des Pins

    April 30, 2018 in New Caledonia ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Left the Sheraton at Poé and headed south, towards Magenta Airport, for our flight to Ile des Pins. We had a few slight see spots along the way, but at lunch, we stopped near Tontouna, the International airport, at a wonderful family restaurant. Our maitre d’hotel was a wonderfully engaging young lady, and her madman was the cook. Madman was from Bordeaux, so everything was cooked Nouvelle Caledonie, but in the French style. We started with a curried shellfish pate, on baguettes, followed by abalone in garlic butter. I had a local fish, grilled in a garlic sauce (not to my taste, but it was ok). Paul had seafood au gratinoise...looked fab! The best bit though was the home grown mango juice with fresh passionfruit, picked off the vine growing beside our table! Yum!

    We arrived at the airport, and dropped off the rental car(“just park it anywhere”), and checked in for our Air Caledonie flight. It was a 60 person plane, and pick any seat.... Flight time was only 25 mins, so very nice. The Isle of Pines from the air is divine...surrounded by reef, and crystal clear bright blue water...

    We were collected at the airport, and arrived at the dodgiest lodging...haha, can’t win em all...We are here for two nights, and then move to a beautiful (and suitably expensive) resort, where we will spend 36 hours chilling...

    We did a 5km hike around our area, found a gorgeous beach, and got some gorgeous sunset pics...

    We walked through a woodland between two beaches where the most amazing trees grew.

    We found a very nice restaurant for dinner...I had seafood ravioli in a divine creamy sauce. Paul had stuffed chicken in a cream sauce which was equally lovely.

    We had a little hike back to our lodging, and finally slept like rocks...
    Read more