Satellite
  • Day 5

    Blessed by a very cute Monk

    June 5, 2018 in China ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    Paul and I climbed three peaks, Kerry and Clinton did a bit more - our knees were starting to give way, but we did exceptionally well. Phoenix, our guide trekked along with us, and regaled stories of the first climbers to the peak, and one in particular who carried his elderly mother up, as she could not climb it, and he wanted her to see it. He erected an obelisk to commemorate. Early climbers etched in the stone various glyphs - this one reads “a magnificent view”, according to Phoenix, and it certainly was....

    Dotted here and there are small temples and huts. At one point we came across a small Daoist Monastery, with a very cute young monk manning it...he lived up the mountain. There was a donation box, of course, and if you put money in, he would ring a sound on a brass bowl, and you could light incense and make a wish. We asked for a photograph, if it wasn’t disrespectful (through our guide of course, as he spoke no English) and he said on one condition - that if we had any currency, could he swap with us! I gave him one of our pretty five dollar notes, which he was delighted with, and gave me ¥25 back, which of course I put in his box, and he rang the bowl. He asked us a question about Australia- he wanted to know what direction the doors faced in Australia, because in Xi’an, the doors all faced South, as that was best for Feng shui...

    The trip back to the hotel was long, as we were very tired after a long hot hiking day, and we all dozed a little.

    We originally had plans to dine at another restaurant recommended by Phoenix, but when we hit the hotel, we found they had a Seafood buffet, and our choice was easy. Sam again greeted us, and looked after us well (he had a very long shift). Foot sore and weary, we flaked...
    Read more