Satellite
  • Day 3

    TARAHUMARAS

    March 16, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    COPPER CANYON has been the home of the Tarahumara indigenous people for hundreds of years. The Tarahumara is probably the most isolated and primitive indigenous tribe in North America. They are spread over an area of 10,000 square miles with a population of 70,000.

    Tarahumaras are famous for their high speed running. They can run nonstop for 100 miles for hunting and sports. Their name means “barefoot runners”. Tarahumara communities can range from small groupings of 12 to large ones of 500 people. They are semi nomadic and many preserve the original elements of their culture. Most celebrations are a strange combination of primitive dance and Catholic ceremonies. They raise cattle, goats and sheep and grow corn and beans.

    The women’s extraordinary work of basketry enthralled all of us ladies (and some of the men). The beautiful baskets and containers crafted from reeds vary in sizes from teeny-tiny to very large. Making a decision was sooooo difficult with their amazing array of colour combinations and shapes. My favourite baskets purchased are the ones where I was able to obtain a photo of the weaver. What a delightful smell from the reed and pine needle ones!
    Read more