Satellite
  • Day 278

    We're going to Ibiza😊

    April 15, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We've had Ibiza on our minds with quite a while.
    Back in February '20 we were 6 weeks away from leaving Ireland - and well, we all know how that worked out.
    So now, writing this on the eve of departure from mainland Spain, it feels like another big moment for us.
    It will hopefully mark the start of a slow cruise through the Balerics and Corsica, Sardinia and who knows where....
    But first there's the little matter of getting there... What had seemed to be the prospect of a galloping beam reach has now changed to a close hauled bash..if the forecast is to be believed....will just have to wait and see how it goes
    After anchoring in Calpe on Tuesday night we moved into the marina for two nights to avoid the strong northerly winds. It's a pleasant stop before we transit the 60nm of the Canal de Ibiza.
    Hopefully tomorrow the winds will have eased to 15 kts or so, all going well we could have a good sail with the wind on the beam.
    And here's the live update :
    We leave port at 9am and already it seems less than charming.
    Rounding the headland we have 20 - 25 knots plus dirty gusts coming down from the Rock.
    With two reefs in the main and only a scrap of headsail, there is a 1.5 - 2m swell on the nose with grey skies and seas. Plus a lesser crossing swell from abaft the beam, just to make it interesting.
    Regal is banging into the swell, and worse, only making 4 knots or so. It's going to be a long 60 miles at this rate. With her starboard rail in the water and the scuppers full, I consoled myself by seeing the last of the Saharan dust being washed off.
    Nobody is enjoying this.
    I considered turning back, like another sailor had said to me recently "its supposed to be about enjoyment not endurance".
    I decided to give it an hour and see how it goes. There is a shipping lane coming up, which helps with the decision to carry on, once we enter that we won't want to turn around half way through.
    Margaret plays a blinder rallying the troops with songs and games, it's a great distraction and helps to lift the mood.
    By 12.00 we're in the shipping lane, calling up the cargo ship MSC Carmen who is passing close by, he obligingly alters course to go astern of us.
    At 14.00 the wind starts to back and we shake out the reefs, our speed increases, while helming became easier. Finally we are getting the beam reach we had hoped for.
    By 16.00 we are doing 7kts + with 21nm to go, all good. But shortly after this the wind veers again and we're back reefing - we've certainly shaken off the Cartegna cobwebs now!
    At least the larger swell is moderating now as we start to come into the lee of Ibiza, we're all glad to have an end to the crash and bang.
    By 18.30 we're close under the high coastline, the wind and seas drop and we start the engine. An hour later we're at anchor, tired, relived but very happy to have reached Ibiza.
    It's a lovely landfall and we go to bed happy, looking forward to the promise of a calm and sunny morning.
    Read more