Satellite
  • Day 19

    Porto on a Sunday

    October 21, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    We eased into the day slowly so it was around midday when we went shopping. We really packed for colder weather and the 25 degrees in Porto has shown up the weaknesses in both our wardrobes. So, when the going gets tough the tough get going, and Robyn is tough.

    Robyn soon found a lightweight top and two T-shirts, and even I found a nice shirt, T-shirt and jeans. Unfortunately shorts were off the menu here, as most of the stock on display was for winter.

    Then it was off for our walk for the day. Those to whom we have related our plans for these holidays will know that we are going for a 5 day walk around Segovia in Spain, averaging around 15 kms per day. That is why we have been trying to walk more each day, and today was no exception. We managed around 9 kms, which included a long walk along the river and crossing it twice, on two different bridges. They certainly know how to build bridges here.

    Earlier in the evening, on our way home from our big walk, we started looking at restaurants in our area. One that appealed to us had only 1 person in it, while the next one had people all over the sidewalk. Not a good recommendation. After showering we went back and it was still deserted until 6 people suddenly walked in while we were looking on. We ended up having a lovely meal there, more like a tapas evening, with nice wine and beer. The young lady who served us spoke lovely English, and no wonder - she had English as a subject for 12 years at school! By the time we left there were heaps of people there. The Portuguese do prefer to come out later in the evening, like the Italians and Spanish I suppose.
    Read more