Satellite
  • Day 23

    Our first day in Lisbon Pt 2

    October 25, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    The afternoon was spent walking. I had left our map at the cafe where we had a little lunch so finding our way around was a bit difficult, We managed to make it up to the Castle, but missed the Cathedral on the way. Given its size I don’t know how we managed that.

    Anyway, we bought a map and backtracked to the Cathedral where we lit a candle in memory of Sue Whiteley. It seems that their cathedrals are all dark, sombre places, and this was no exception. However, its scale was impressive and we enjoyed taking it all in.

    Next was a walk down to the docks where we saw two gigantic (to us) cruise ships. We watched them being re-provisioned and some painting being done as well, and then saw bus after bus of passengers coming back to board. We are not sure that this type of holiday is for us, but maybe, perhaps, when we are too old ...

    Our walk took us a long way along the bank of the Rio Tejo before we headed back to our apartment. One thing we have noted is that there are many hills, and while not particularly steep, they seem to go on forever.

    Literally around the corner from our place we noticed a little bar/restaurant that looked very inviting. After a shower and change we went back there and had a quiet drink. We are going back tomorrow evening for dinner.
    Read more