Satellite
  • Day 34

    Rain in Segovia City

    November 5, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 4 °C

    The weather forecast was quite certain for Segovia and district. It was to rain on Monday with light showers on Wednesday. So far it has been 100% correct. We had quite a bit of rain during the night, but it had virtually stopped by the time we were up.

    Breakfast made yesterday’s look parsimonious, and that’s saying something. The selection of meats and sweets was huge, with cereals, bread, fruit and cheese in abundance. This style of breakfast is daunting if you are a tea and toast sort of person, or cereal and tea, which we are. Nevertheless we did our best, and managed to work our way through many of the things presented.

    Just after we headed out the door it started to rain again, so we had to look for umbrellas AND raincoats. We have known for weeks that we would need raincoats, probably for Ireland, and definitely for Spain, but had never quite got around to finding any. Raincoats are not always easy to find, but nevertheless we now have to have them as the forecast is for rain on Wednesday and possibly some light rain on Tuesday.

    Umbrellas were fairly easy to find, but then the search began for raincoats. We found one for me at the Visitor Information Centre at the base of the aqueduct but Robyn wanted something more stylish. We saw quite a few but of course they were not available in Small, so in desperation we looked in children's clothing shops. Strangely, there were as many good clothes for boys and for girls, and many of the girls' coats were in stylish colours, not pink, or pink, or pink. We ended up buying a boy’s coat which is not quite waterproof but is knee length and will do the trick.

    Using our guidebook from the walking group, we started walking around Segovia. Trying to follow the detailed instructions and match them to the VIC map proved time consuming, so we ended up just walking around a bit more and then checking out the Cathedral. What a magnificent structure it is.

    Heading back towards the castle, or Alcazar fortress, we stopped to look across the valley at the village of Zamarramala. Why not walk across there we thought? We headed off and found ourselves there in no time. It looked a long way off, across the valley, but in reality was not so far. While we were walking around it started to rain. By the time we had returned to our hotel we were fairly wet, but it was good fun anyway. At least we did a decent hour of walking.

    One problem we will continue to have in Spain is their late dinner times. At home we often don’t eat until after 9 pm, because there are always so many things to do. Here the restaurants don’t open until 8.30 pm and before that you can get a drink and some finger food, but that leaves us with quite a bit of spare time.

    Our first port of all was a little place just around the corner from the hotel where we had a drink and small finger food. The food was not warm enough and we didn’t feel like staying there so we went walking out of the main plaza, down towards the aqueduct and chanced upon a little shop that is part deli, part cafe, part bar. That was good enough for us. We enjoyed a small meal there of toast with tomato and meat and a plate of goats cheese, washed down with local wine.
    Read more