Satellite
  • Day 29

    Day 9: Alpine luge roller coaster

    July 3, 2016 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 55 °F

    It was an exciting and action packed day. The luge coaster is a track where you can ride a little luge sled down this mountain through some sharp curves and steep drops. You have a brake, so you can control your rate of descent, but you can work up some pretty good speed if you want or you can go really slowly, if you are nervous. Unfortunately slow people can cause a bit of a traffic jam on the track.

    We had a few mini disasters this day. The drivers were supposed to keep 25 meters separation, but most people ignored that, which led to a few relatively minor collisions. Then one of our group lost his wallet when going down one time. Despite several people looking for it on their slow runs, he didn't recover it. Then there was a major collision that sent two of our people to the hospital to be checked out.

    While the injured were being attended, R and I had to head back up the mountain on the ski lift to retrieve our backpacks that we had stored up there while doing the luge. And also retrieve the backpack of one of the injured.

    We decided to keep a keen eye out for the wallet, but had little expectation of success. Amazingly, I spotted it when were not too far from the top of the course and it was in a spot that was actually kind of accessible. So once we landed, Russell hiked down to retrieve it while I sent the backpacks down by themselves on the ski lift, and we both got one last luge run in and we were heroes!
    Read more