Satellite
  • Day 34

    Lake Mashu and Akan National Park

    September 25, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    I'm staying in a hotel in Kushiro which is around 70 km south west of Teshikaga. However I plan to visit no less than THREE (count 'em) lakes on the way by a circuitous route so it will take most of the day to reach Kushiro.

    The first lake is Mashu which isn't that far away north on route 52. It's not possible to get close to the lake so I will drive to 2 observation viewpoints. It costs 500 yen to park at the first viewpoint (#3) and, once again, there is no view due to pervasive fog (1st photo is of car park). However there is a tax free shop and tour buses even at this relatively early time so who cares about the views? I buy a couple of T shirts anyway.

    I drive then to viewpoint #1 which has free parking, no shop and therefore no crowd. The fog lifts a little when I walk to the viewpoint so I'm able to shoot a small video and take a couple of photos. Temporary reprieve I'm afraid as the fog returns with a vengeance.

    These viewpoints are quite high so the road drops away as I continue on. A tour bus slows down to a stop in front of me on the road. There's a red fox jogging along the side of the road. I see a few of these as roadkill so I hope this one takes care!

    The road through to the next lake (Kussharo) takes me to Kawayu Onsen town. The tourist info place there has good material for the lakes I want to see. There's a foot spa in the park opposite tourist information but I'm too pressed for time to partake.

    I drive through to Sunayu on the eastern shore of Lake Kussharo. The smell of sulphur was quite strong in the car coming through. The shoreline is on a hot spring so it's possible to dig your feet into the coarse sand and have a foot spa. This is why you wear thongs 😏. Anyway the (relatively) larger pools are soothing. A smaller pool is way too hot so I retreat.

    The next port of call is Wakoto peninsula which sticks out from the southern shore of the same lake. On the wind protected side the lake is quite calm and serene. On the other side it is choppy. There is an open air hot spring (mixed bathing, swimwear optional) next to the lake on the wind protected side. I'm wearing board shorts but find there's a nude German already in the water. He is travelling for 3 months with his Tokyo-born wife and their daughter who are only spectating here. We have a good chat whilst soaking up the minerals in the spring. Not sure how clean the water is, though. He heads to the lake proper to rinse off and I do the same (water's cold though). After that I change back, buy a bottle of coke and sit on a bench in the sun with my swimwear draped over the bench.

    The way through to Lake Akan takes me back to Teshikaga where I enjoy lunch in a park nearby Mashu Onsen. There's few people in the park as the shop is back at the onsen car park. Then I drive through to Akanko Onsen town and park. The town is very touristy with rows of souvenir shops selling mass-produced "authentic" artifacts. Still, it has good views of the lake so I take some photos from the jetty.

    The day has got away from me (yes, again) so I must make tracks for Kushiro. On the way there my Pioneer Navi car GPS prepares a special "surprise" for me by taking me off the road signed "Kushiro" then putting me on a B road, then a C road on the way through. What's more, a car follows me on both roads, must have the same car GPS, I feel your pain 🤑

    Eventually we're back on track and make it to the Century Castle Hotel in Kushiro. It is next to the river so I take some night time photos, none attached here though.
    Read more