Satellite
  • Day 34

    Seoraksan Day 1

    October 31, 2017 in South Korea ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    The entrance to the park is about 200 metres up the road. There's a 7-11 convenience store close by the hotel, that will come in handy. I walk towards the park and note how many coaches are parked in the adjacent parking lot. There's a few people in today!

    It costs 3500 KRW (just under 4 AUD) to enter the park. There are a number of shops, restaurants and cafes at the front of the park - natural habitat of those with unsuitable footwear. There's also a very popular cable car close by, not sure if I can squeeze in a round trip.

    I have an hour before checkin starts so I'm not going on a long hike. It's a round trip of 4.6 km to Biryong falls and I also need to have some lunch. The start of the trail winds through some pretty forest, but after a kilometre or so the trail turns upwards in a series of crosswalks across the falls catchment area. I had no high expectations (especially given Cheonjeyeon falls in Jungmun) but it was quite impressive.

    I was also distracted at times by squirrels running over the rocks. I find them irresistibly cute. The round trip and photos around the park entrance end up consuming over 2 hours, so it's close to 4:30 by the time I check in.
    Read more