Satellite
  • Day 66

    Dahab- Cycling, Lagoon & Arab Police

    May 17, 2015 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Today was a great day. I decided to leave the herd (whom I don't really get along with) and make my own way. So I hired a bike (a Giant- decent) after a delicious breakfast (Egyptians do a good brekky) and a cool morning swim. After some pool with the receptionist (I won- yay), I made my way towards the lagoon. There wasn't much to see so I headed back to get some respite from the heat and to fill my belly.

    I had a voucher for a joint called "The Kitchen" but had to stop to find my way. I happened to have stopped outside a police station. Some moments later I heard an insulting tone coming from an upper window, perhaps a senior officer. He had concluded I was Egyptian so had proceeded to berate me for having the nerve to stop outside the station, I mean, who do I think I am? I was laughably angry and so gestured to him dismissively. That was it. I had made his ego wince. I was ushered inside and asked to produce my passport but not before a kind young lad (actually older than me) came to my aid in the former of a translator/go between. They had decided that based on my name and my beard that they would have to conduct a check of the highest level to determine whether I was a threat to national security. The whole situation was a joke and took around 30 min.

    During these shenanigans the young but older than me lad showed me to his friends nearby coffee shop whilst the checks were in progress. Turns out to be a divorcee and father of a 4 year old. He showed me his political sketches and we discussed dreams, goals, Islam, women, etc.
    Read more