Satellite
  • Day 95

    Mary Assumption Church Cheshire 1577.2

    August 6, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    As we made it already so close to Dalton we had plenty of time to sleep in. And as always when you can sleep in, you can't... This time because of some incredibly noisy teenagers that were hiking around with their Bootcamp group and having their tents right next to ours -.- So we decided to tear down our tent and hike in to Dalton for breakfast. On the way there we met an incredibly cute and entertaining porcupine that was walking along the AT ahead of us. It took ages before it noticed us, so I could do a two minutes video and take some pictures. It ran away and climbed slowly up a tree, so we had plenty of time to pass and leave it alone.
    When we finally arrived in Dalton we got a Breakfast Sandwich, Everything Bagel and an Avocado Sandwich. For our trained hiker stomachs not enough so we went to the gas station for muffins. The medium fed ourselves were in need of a shower and laundry. In front of the CRA building I got trail mix bars from a random guy who asked if we are hiking the AT - so not another homeless experience.

    Around noon we met with Julias family who came all the way from the Boston area. After all a three hour drive to the other side of the state. So we were super happy that they came, especially the smallest and newest member of the family was the star :) We had a great time and relaxed afternoon. Unfortunately we didn't have more time...
    By 3:30 they needed to head back home and we also went back on the trail. It was only about 9 miles to the next town so we went for that. When we were just about to arrive in Cheshire there was a sign catching our attention advertising for "local honey". So we went there, bought a glass (!!!) of honey and got a free tour around the garden and the bee hives.
    For the night we camped at the St. Mary of the Assumption Church Parish Hall. They are offering a campsite and restrooms for the thru hikers. On the menu for dinner was today cold ravioli straight from the can :D Proper town food!!
    Read more