Satellite
  • Day 104

    Happy Hill Shelter 1741.8

    August 15, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    Today's goal was to get as close as possible to Hanover. Therefore we headed out a bit earlier than the previous days. But the morning was quite tough with lots of ups and downs, both pretty steep. So we've only achieved 8 miles for lunch but we were still confident in reaching our goal.
    We've hiked by some trees that were equipped with lines to get maple syrup from them. Julia explained me a bit about it as she had already seen this up in Maine. It was really interesting seeing those trees being drained, apparently there has to be a large container down the hills where the raw juice is gathered. Maybe there will be a chance to explore it more detailed in Maine.
    As we came out of the woods into the town of West Hartford you could already see an AT sign from far away. As we came a bit closer we saw some hikers sitting on the porch so we joined them. And there was an amazing trail magic with sodas, coffee, cookies, muffins, brownies and fruits!! Those fruits were just what we needed at this point because the sun was burning down on us for quite a while. The trail angel even had WiFi for us, so we enjoyed being vortexed for about an hour.
    Then we finally found the motivation to make a move up to the next shelter with the promising name "Happy Hill Shelter". The hill wasn't so happy, mainly just a thousand feet of uphill that we saved our tomorrow selves. When we went to sleep in the tent we've heard the thunder rolling in the distance and hoped that it will spare us for the night in our leaking tent...
    Read more