Satellite
  • Day 115

    US 2 / Gorham 1891.5

    August 26, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    TOWNDAY!! We're getting more and more excited about this than we used to. Today we luckily got a ride into town just as we started to hike there. So first we went to Walmart to get resupplies for the next days, especially because this is the last Walmart along the trail. Afterwards we went to the Post office to get a delivery from Clara with other parts of our winter gear and we also sent some items back.
    The next item on our daily todo list was the laundry after treating our clothes with Permetherin, a strong insect repellent that is especially effective against ticks. The only downside is that it smells awful, so we first soaked the clothes and then washed them. The tick protection lasts for six times of laundry or 42 days, so we should be fine until Kathadin. After all of our clothes were clean, we needed to clean ourselves but unfortunately the two hostels in town only offered showers for guests. So we just went to the river right along the main street and washed us there with a special bio degradable soap :) The line between hiker and homeless is very thin...
    We've completed all of the duties, so now we could go to the fun part: Eating. All you can eat. Chinese.
    And it was exceptionally tasty for only $7.25, the different meals actually tasted different. Usually it all tastes mainly greasy with just a bit of artificial taste added. We really enjoyed having actual food with vegetables and a great dessert.

    Almost falling in a food coma we went to McDonald's for WiFi and coffee. We spent quite a lot of time there before we stealth camped across the street at a construction site. The day was good to get a bit of rest after the exhausting up and downs in the Whites. Our knees, ankles and feet are thankful for that and we hope to make it to Kathadin without another rest. We're still shooting for the End of trails Festival and the lower mileage of the last week raised the miles we need to average from now on. Only about a mile a day more but depending on the terrain, this might get tricky.
    Read more