Satellite
  • Day 30

    Rottnest Island

    May 8, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    We've booked a ferry from Fremantle to Rottnest Island at 7:30 in the morning. We stealth parked at a nearby park area so we didn't have to get up so early. On point we boarded the ship and went on the half an hour trip with quite a lot of waves, so we were glad to get back on land.
    We considered hiring a bike to get around the island but then just went by foot. After just five minutes we saw the first of Rottos (Aussie slang) most famous inhabitants, the Quokkas. An incredibly cute marsupial which has no natural predators and is therefore not afraid to get close to people. And they live basically only on this island which is actually named after them (Rat's nest) because the first explorers thought they were giant rats. We spent the day walking around the island, watching Quokkas and taking a quick dip in the sea. And if course taking tons of pictures!! In the afternoon we accompanied a free Quokka walking tour led by an elderly lady who wasn't really stable walking. And at some point she even fell :o Luckily nothing worse happened but it was scary... At 4 we took the ferry back to Fremantle. There we spent a few hours exploring the lovely city.
    Read more